B.Tech Lateral Entry or Direct Second Year Admission in Engineering Colleges allows Diploma students or BSc Mathematics graduates to get a seat in second year engineering programs.
Students who have completed their 3 years Diploma program after class 10th can skip the first year and join second-year B.E/B.Tech programs with the help of exams or counseling conducted by state technical admission authorities or Private universities.
Also, You can take B.Tech second-year direct admission in top colleges via management quota through our admission consultancy in Private colleges and UGC recognized deemed universities teaching B.E/B.Tech courses.
Though diploma engineering courses may help in an early exposure to the job market yet, you may miss out a few opportunities due to lack of a degree.
In this case, you can opt for lateral entry in B.Tech and the course duration is of 6 semesters (3 Years).
The minimum eligibility criteria for Second Year B.Tech Admission are as follows:
You must have successfully completed Your Diploma in engineering or have studied Bachelor of Science (BSc. Mathematics) with 45% aggregate.
But, If you have done Diploma in Architecture, You can only take admission in 1st year Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) program after getting a valid score in NATA entrance exams.
Top 20 Engineering Colleges For B.Tech Lateral Entry Admission
As per the Recent NIRF 2018 Rankings, Here is the list of Top 20 Engineering colleges which allows lateral entry B.Tech admission for Diploma students and BSc Mathematics graduates.
- Anna University, Tamil Nadu
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Thapar Institute Of Engineering & Technology, Punjab
- PSG College Of Technology, Coimbatore
- Amity University, Uttar Pradesh
- Manipal Institute Of Technology, Manipal
- Delhi Technological University [DTU], Delhi
- College of Engineering [COEP], Pune
- Kalinga Institute Of Industrial Technology [KIIT], Bhubaneswar
- Pondicherry College Of Engineering [PEC], Puducherry
- Vishwakarma Institute of Technology [VIT], Pune
- RV College of Engineering, [RVCE] Bangalore
- Ramaiah Institute Of Technology [MSRIT], Bengaluru
- BMS College of Engineering, [BMSCE], Bengaluru
- Siddaganga Institute Of Technology [SIT], Tumkur
- PES University, Bengaluru
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute [VJTI], Mumbai
- New Horizon College Of Engineering [NHCE], Bengaluru
- Nitte Meenakshi Institute Of Technology [NITTE], Bengaluru
- MIT World Peace University [MIT-WPU], Pune
Eligibility Criteria for B.Tech Lateral Entry Admission
You must have completed a full-time diploma engineering course or an equivalent degree from a recognized institute (Approved by Government of India).
If you are a B.Sc graduate, it’s necessary for you to have Mathematics as one of your subjects in graduation.
You must have an aggregate of 45% throughout your 3 years diploma course or graduation.
Though the percentage varies differently for different colleges, most of the colleges fix their eligibility criteria as 45% for general category and 40% for reserved category.
Your minimum age must be 18 years and maximum 26 years.
If you fulfill the eligibility criteria, only then you can take entrance tests for lateral entry in B.tech.
List Of Entrance Examination For B.Tech Lateral Entry
Here’s the list of some prominent entrance exams for B.Tech second-year admission in government & private engineering colleges.
- Andhra Pradesh Engineering Common Entrance Test [AP-ECET]
- Assam Joint Lateral Entry Entrance Exam [JLEE]
- Bihar Lateral Entry Entrance Exam [BCECE-LE]
- Gujarat Diploma To Degree Engineering Admission
- Haryana Lateral Entry Entrance Test [Haryana-LEET]
- Jharkhand Diploma To Degree Entrance Competitive Examination [JCECE-LE]
- Karnataka Diploma Common Entrance Test [Karnataka-DCET]
- Kerala B.Tech Lateral Entry Entrance Examination [Kerala-LET]
- Maharashtra Direct Second Year Engineering Admission
- Madhya Pradesh B.Tech Lateral Entry Admission
- Odisha Joint Entrance Examination [OJEE] Lateral Entry Test
- Punjab Technical University Lateral Entry Entrance Test [PTU-LEET]
- Puducherry B.Tech Lateral Entry Test
- Telangana State Engineering Common Entrance Test [TS-ECET]
- Tamil Nadu B.Tech Lateral Entry Common Entrance Exam [ACG-CET]
- Uttar Pradesh Lateral Entrance Examination [UPSEE]
- Uttarakhand State Entrance Exam [UKSEE]
- West Bengal University Joint Entrance Exam for Lateral Entry [JELET]
These are some entrance exams that can help you in getting admissions in top engineering colleges in Your state.
The Entrance examination & Counseling is conducted by Directorate of Technical Education of all States & Union Territories.
The test is conducted for admission in Government, Government-Aided Colleges, Private Colleges & Deemed Universities for any state.
You must apply and register online by paying the application fee to participate in the entrance test.
Some state authorities will directly prepare the merit list for students who have applied online on basis of marks scored in Diploma and seat allotments will be done as per the college options by considering the merit list.
Some of these state authorities only allow students who fulfill the domicile eligibility criteria whereas others authorities allow all India students to apply for the admission.
You must read the entrance examination information brochure released by the authorities conducting the exams before applying for it.
Also, some of the Private Universities in India such as Amity, Manipal, Kalinga etc conduct their own entrance exams for admission in B.Tech Lateral Entry Admission.
On a basic note, regional government colleges and private colleges consider state entrance exams to prepare merit, while autonomous institutes and deemed universities conduct their own exams.
List Of Top UGC Recognized Universities For B.Tech Lateral Entry
Apart from State level entrance exams some of the best UGC recognized Private Universities in India for B.Tech second year admission are listed below:
- AMITY University, Noida
- Bharath University, Chennai
- Bennett University, Noida
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi
- GITAM University, Visakhapatnam
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi
- Hindustan University, Chennai
- ICFAI University, Tripura
- Kalinga Institute Of Industrial Technology, Bhubaneswar
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Mumbai University, Mumbai
- Mizoram University, Mizoram
- Manipal Academy Of Higher Education, Manipal
- Maharashtra Institute Of Technology, Pune
- Presidency University, Bangalore
- PES University, Bangalore
- Ramaiah University Of Applied Sciences, Bangalore
- Tripura Institute Of Technology, Tripura
- Thapar Institute Of Engineering & Technology, Punjab
- Sikkim Manipal Institute Of Technology, Sikkim
These private universities take admission by selecting the students on basis of marks scored in Diploma or BSc Degree or conduct their own entrance test for admission.
You can visit the respective college’s websites or else contact them directly to know about the admission procedure, fees structure, entrance exams and other important details.
B.Tech Lateral Entry Admission Procedure
For Lateral Entry Admission in B.E/B.Tech programs, You must have to pass Diploma from any of the AICTE, UGC or State Government recognized Institutions.
If You want to join engineering colleges in Your state you can apply for the entrance exams as state domicile students will get benefits over other state students in seat allotments.
If you cannot get a good score or merit in the entrance test, You might not get a seat in some of the best Government or Private engineering colleges in Your state.
Most private colleges which participate in Your state quota counseling has up to 20% Management quota seats reserved for students looking for B.Tech lateral entry direct admission.
You can also apply for B.Tech lateral entry in some of the deemed engineering colleges near to your state for admission as it would be a good option instead of waiting for one more year.
The Complete information about the admission procedure, List of Colleges participating in the counseling, seat matrix, branches available, date of the entrance examination and venue is available in the information brochure released by the states technical admission authorities.
Also, Private Engineering Universities will announce the same details on their respective websites.
Tuition Fee For B.Tech Lateral Entry Admission
Most of the colleges charge very less Tuition fee for Second Year Direct Admission.
It varies from 30 Thousand Per annum to 60 Thousand Per annum for all Government & Private Colleges participating in State quota counseling.
Since there is a large number of vacant seats which left unoccupied during the first year, most of the colleges charge very less fee for students taking B.Tech lateral admission in the second year.
Except few deemed private engineering colleges, can charge more tuition fees for some of the engineering programs for B.Tech lateral entry.
Also, the cost of the online application fee is less than 1000 INR for almost all the entrance examination.
Some additional miscellaneous fee apart from college tuition fee will be also charged by most of the colleges.
Apart from College fee, You must also have to pay the Hostel fee which may vary from 50 thousand to 1 lakh INR if you wish to join the college hostel.
Generally, the total package comes around 4 to 5 Lakh INR including the college tuition fee, miscellaneous charges and hostel fee.
Lateral Entry Second Year B.Tech Direct Admission In Bangalore
Engineering Colleges in Bangalore takes Direct Admission in B.E/B.Tech Second Year Lateral Entry without any entrance exams.
Since the number of lateral entry seats in India is more than enough to accommodate almost all students looking for Lateral entry admission after completing Diploma.
However, most of the private colleges in other states are not in a good condition without quality education, infrastructure, placements, faculty as compared to Engineering Colleges of Bangalore.
There are more than 200 Engineering colleges in states like Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh for B.Tech lateral entry but the majority of the private colleges are simply providing a degree.
Though Karnataka Diploma Students can only participate in the Karnataka Diploma Common Entrance Test.
Our admission consultancy helps Diploma students to take B.Tech lateral entry spot admission in some of the Top Engineering Colleges of Bangalore.
You can choose from the list of various engineering colleges available in Bangalore for Lateral Entry admission.
You can take direct admission in B.E engineering programs in Top 50 Engineering Colleges of Bangalore affiliated by Visvesvaraya Technical University.
Also, You can take Direct Admission in B.Tech Engineering Programs in Private Engineering Universities of Bangalore recognized by UGC.
Bangalore Colleges provide quality education as well as 100% assured placements after successful completion of the course.
The course fee and other charges are very less as compared to students taking admission in 1st year of B.E/B.Tech Engineering programs.
Diploma students can take lateral entry second-year admission by paying 60 thousand per annum college fee in most of the Top engineering colleges of Bangalore.
B.Tech after diploma is always a good option, as a combination of core knowledge and practical knowledge proves the best means to learn machines.
So, if you are considering for a technical profession, just know your options and plan well to make your dream come true.
B.Sc stream students shall clear the subjects of Engineering Graphics/Engineering Drawing and Engineering Mechanics of the first year engineering program along with the second Year.
There are many Universities and Colleges which allows students for B.Tech Lateral Entry in India through entrance exams or Direct admission on basis of Marks scored in Diploma or Bsc. Degree.
Most of the colleges only provide a degree in B.Tech/B.E after completion of the course.
You might have to find a suitable job on your own after getting the degree from most of these private colleges.
Instead, We suggest You, join Second Year Direct admission in engineering colleges which provides placements assistance too.
Also, Students who have successfully completed their 1st year in B.E/B.Tech and want to change their colleges can contact us for Second-year Direct admission in Top Engineering colleges.
If you want more Information about the Entrance Exams Listen to the BTech Lateral Entry podcast.
Now it’s Your chance to decide which college you want to Join for your higher education.
Please comment below and let us know.